Halloween Edition: Escaping from Carou-hell
Halloween is around the corner. Kids and adults dressing up, scary masks, spooky costumes – an ideal opportunity for a sale. Yet there is something more terrifying lurking on the classic homepage default…carousels.
Your homepage is your shopfront – would you put adverts that look like a 1200 rpm spin wash in front of your physical store? Or an advert so big that it obscures everything else from view? Not unless you’re trying to dissuade Dracula with a giant image of a stake.
“Carousels are effective at being able to tell people in Marketing/Senior Management that their latest idea is now on the homepage. They are next to useless for users and often “skipped” because they look like advertisements”
Avoid creating Frankenstein’s monster
Carousels are a cop-out. We want to please everyone, so we include everything. A dash of brand imagery; a splash of PR messaging; a pinch of product; maybe even a ‘download an app’ seasoning. It’s a recipe for ineffectiveness and often resembles Frankenstein’s Monster.
Carousels also miss the core point of your homepage – to drive a clear and consistent message to visitors. When someone lands on your site, you want them to: a) understand what it is that you do or sell and b) get them to the right place as quickly as possible.
A carousel does exactly the opposite. Boggling the mind and leading to frustration.
Beware of scarily low conversions
There are sites out there with, wait for it, 11 carousel images, two of which are repeated. Why? Where are the analytics on how many people made it to number 11, and then completed the desired action?
“A staggeringly low 1% of site visitors click on rotating image carousels (carousels that don’t change automatically). Additionally, 84% of those clicks are on the first slide, meaning all the remaining slides combined receive a paltry 16% of the clicks”
Image heavy, multi-message, carousel spaces are also ghoulish in other ways – they take an unnecessary amount of time and energy to update, as well as causing your pages to load exceptionally slowly. Frightfully unproductive when time is of the essence.
Visit the ghost of a browser’s past
So, how do you turn this trick into a treat? Think like you would in a physical location – present something relevant, tailored and timely. We often talk with clients about hyper-personalisation, using data across every touchpoint. That’s a difficult task, but the easiest place to do this for any user is your homepage.
Whether they’re known or not, you can immediately display something which is more impactful than a Dante’s Inferno of banner images. What media did they use before hitting the site? Were they looking at a specific item you want to resurface? Do they have something in a shopping bag you want them to buy? These are all valuable signals that can be reflected on your website.
“Optimizely.com tested their personalized homepage and saw a “1.5% increase in engagement”, “113% increase in conversions to Solutions page” (a key page in their user journey) & ”117% increase in conversions on ‘Test it Out’ CTA to start account creation process”
Start facing your worst nightmares
The way to get the proverbial goodie bag of sweets, is by using data to drive a meaningful interaction. Look at who your audiences are. Where do they come from? What do they do? What behaviours do they exhibit before conversion? Could your homepage be tailored more towards this kind of user? Then, test and learn.
This might sound like a true nightmare but think about turning off that never-ending carousel. We worked with a client in the travel industry on this exact test and it generated an astonishing 19% increase in users booking from the homepage. This wasn’t even personalized. It just had a more directed message about what we wanted all visitors to do (in this case, searching for a hotel room).
Don’t scare off your customers
“59% of online shoppers believe that it is easier to find more interesting products on personalised online retail stores” 
Ultimately, you want to use that space on the homepage to talk to an individual as if you would in person – “Welcome back, here’s what we talked about last time. Is it still what you want? If not, here’s something else you might like”.
To get there, you will need to prove that removing this ghoulish specter is the right thing. This requires data to bolster your argument, and a compelling experience you want to show to users which drives the outcome you need. This will give you competitive advantage. People remember service in real life, so give it to them online.
Get it right, and you’ll be happy consigning the carousel into the bonfire of outdated web design history, with the ability to use data to drive meaningful, rather than terrifying digital engagements.
That’s a trick that will treat everyone!